No variable specified
Cambridge football upsets Pope
by Marcel Pourtout
October 02, 2013 02:43 PM | 2366 views | 0 0 comments | 19 19 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Behind a game-high 310 yard passing and 100 yards rushing from Bryan Moore, Cambridge (1-3) earned the stunning 41-32 victory over Pope (1-4) in Milton last Friday.

“It was great to be home after three long weeks on the road,” Cambridge head coach Craig Bennett said. “The environment was awesome and it really helped motivate our kids. Beating Pope is obviously a great win for this team and program. We’re extremely proud of our team and its effort.”

The Bears sealed the victory on a one-yard touchdown run by Moore with less than three minutes left in the contest for the final score of the contest.

Cambridge jumped out to an early 3-0 lead with 6:16 left in the first quarter when Clayton Hammer hit the first of his three field goals in the contest, this one from 28 yards. The other successful conversion came from 30 yards and 33 yards respectively.

Pope’s next possession ended when Taylor Wolf fumbled the ball during a rushing attempt and it was recovered by Christian Johnston. It was the first of eight total turnovers the Greyhounds would have in the contest.

“Our defense played hard against a really good and big Pope offense,” Bennett said. “We gave up some big plays but we practice pursuit drills every day and that helped get a lot of guys around the ball for big hits and turnovers.”

The Bears took a 12-0 lead late in the first quarter when Moore connected on a 24-yard touchdown pass up the middle to Johnston.

However, Cambridge fell behind in the middle of the second quarter when Pope went on a 26-0 scoring run. The Bears were able to recover with a four-yard touchdown run up the middle by AJ Campbell and a Hammer field goal to only trail 26-22 heading into the second half.

Cambridge retook the lead, 29-26, with three minutes left in the third quarter on a nine-yard touchdown reception by John Hurst on a slant pass. Hurst finished the contest with a game-high 164 yards receiving.

The Bears used Pope’s turnovers to their advantage again when Greyhounds’ running back Mike Kemper fumbled the ball and it was recovered by John Kania early in the fourth quarter.

Cambridge finally overtook Pope for good when JD White’s one-yard TD run made the score 35-32 in favor of the Bears with ten minutes left in the game.

*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides