"A construction worker was doing some grinding work on a piece of metal, and sparks from that grinding got into some foam material and that's what started the fire," he said.
Firefighters from Alpharetta and Milton responded to the school campus at 2765 Bethany Bend in Alpharetta after a construction worker at the site called 911 around 10:18 a.m. stating there was a fire starting at the roof.
"We're thankful that was a quick call and a quick response," Gordon said. "Time is of the essence with fighting structure fires."
Though the building suffered damage, no one was harmed in the incident. The 4,000-square-foot center is a new building under construction at the private school, which was scheduled to open in June.
"The great thing is that nobody was hurt and none of our students were in any danger there," said school headmaster David Rhodes, adding the building damage can be repaired.
"A large area of damage is, of course, the roof structure itself," Gordon said. "There's going to obviously be internal smoke and fire damage."
Rhodes said he was uncertain whether the incident would push the building's opening back but that the school is looking forward to moving into the center, where students will prepare for their futures and their careers.
"There's going to be great things happening in the building," he said. "This is just a little bit of a time and structure setback."