The Professional Association of Georgia Educators Foundation, the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and the Georgia Department of Education sponsor the STAR program each year.
Fleck earned the recognition by having the highest SAT score out of seniors in schools – public and private – throughout the county.
For a student to be a STAR student at his or her high school, the student must have the highest SAT score and be in the top 10 percent or top 10 students of the class based on grade point average.
Fleck, who scored a 2270 composite on her SAT, is still waiting to hear back from her top three college choices of Georgia Tech, Harvard University and MIT.
The school she attends will gain a talented and dedicated student, said Eagle’s Landing Principal Gabe Crerie.
“Ashley is a well-rounded individual and a great representation of all that is good in Henry County as a student and a STAR Student,” Crerie said in a statement. “Eagle’s Landing High School is a better place because of students like Ashley.”
Fleck, who will study biomedical engineering with plans on becoming a surgeon, chose Eagle’s Landing science, AP physics and anatomy teacher Gail Ballard as her STAR Teacher.
This is Ballard’s first time being selected as a STAR Teacher, but Fleck said selecting Ballard was a “no-brainer.”
Not only has Ballard been a teacher for different classes Fleck has taken, but she also served as Fleck’s soccer coach when Fleck played center striker for the Lady Golden Eagles.
“She has always been there for me when I needed her,” Fleck said in a statement.
The two honorees will now move on to the regional competition in Griffin on March 20, for a chance to then move on to the state competition in Atlanta on April 22.
This is the 56th year for the program.
Since its beginning, it has recognized more than 24,000 students and their teachers from around the state.
The other county honorees, in student/teacher order, are:
- Bible Baptist Christian School – Russell Almand, Kim Edwards
- Community Christian School – Taylor Martin, Salvatore Angelica
- Dutchtown High School – Jonathan Duong, William Harris
- Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy – Tiffany Dorsey, Jennifer Williams
- Henry County High School – David Johnson, Capt. Steve Seal
- Locust Grove High School – Bailey Mann, Marjorie Powell
- Luella High School – Nicole Yingst, Dean Goldgar
- Ola High School – Hanna Warlick, Lori Vincent
- Stockbridge High School – Luis Aleman, Gerard Petty
- Strong Rock Christian School – Carter Adkins, Angie Rice
- Union Grove High School – Meredith Davis, Katherine Barrett
- Woodland High School – Ashlyn Oakes, Pat Faulkner