No variable specified
Marist falls to Carrollton in semifinals
by Maurice Dixon
December 10, 2013 11:13 AM | 2545 views | 0 0 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Staff / Katherine Frye<br>Marcus Miller ran for a touchdown and passed for another in Marist’s overtime loss to Carrollton last Friday in the Class AAAA semifinals.
Staff / Katherine Frye
Marcus Miller ran for a touchdown and passed for another in Marist’s overtime loss to Carrollton last Friday in the Class AAAA semifinals.
Unfortunately, a second straight overtime duel with Carrollton wouldn’t go in Marist’s favor this year.

Chase Martenson ran for two touchdowns and passed for another, and Marcus Miller had a rushing TD and passed for a score but Marist fell short 46-44 in four overtimes to Carrollton at home in the semifinals of the Class AAAA playoffs Friday.

After three OT sessions, the Trojans took the lead for good, thanks to a six-yard TD run and a two-point conversion by Jarvis Terrell, who finished with 156 rushing yards, for a 46-38 advantage.

On the War Eagles’ ensuing possession, they needed all four downs before Martenson busted his way into the end zone from nine yards out. Now, needing a two-point conversion to force another overtime, Martenson tried the draw play again but was stopped in the middle of the field, sealing the Trojans’ first trip back to the Georgia Dome since 2010.

In the first OT session, Miller opened the scoring with a 12-yard halfback pass to Will Hale. But Wil Garrett responded for Carrollton with a one-yard run. In the second overtime, both teams kicked field goals. Then in the third session, Griffin King ran for a 15-yard score and Garrett had a one-yard TD plunge but both teams failed the mandatory two-point conversion attempt.

Last season in the second round, Marist edged Carrollton in five overtimes.

Early in the third quarter, the War Eagles found themselves in a 22-7 hole after an 11-yard touchdown run by Terrell. But Marist answered on its next possession when Miller sprinted to the corner of the end zone for a five-yard TD with 7:47 left.

Then in the fourth quarter and just before a 30-minute weather delay, Martenson completed a playaction pass to a wide open to Joey Oates for a 22-20 score with seven minutes remaining in regulation.

Miller ran for the two-point conversion to complete the comeback.

After DeAntoine Cammons opened the scoring with a 28-yard interception return in the first quarter, Martenson pulled the War Eagles even with a three-yard plunge into the end zone just before halftime.

*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides