The plan encompasses all of the projects for which the airport is seeking federal funding during fiscal years 2014 through 2018, said airport director Blake Swafford. The aviation administration requires a plan be filed to receive federal funding.
Swafford said the plan is a wish list of items they would like to see funded.
The aviation administration will not fund all the projects proposed by the airport, he said.
“If half [of the projects] get funded we will really grow,” he said.
The plan also includes privately-funded items the Paulding airport provides to the aviation administration, he said.
The airport asks for funding for design and construction projects each year, he said.
“Most of these projects are done in phases,” Swafford said.
It generally takes one year to design a project followed by one year for construction, he said.
In addition, requests have been made for funds to reimburse the airport for water quality monitoring.
The airport is required by the Eviromental Protection Division and U.S. Fish and Wildlife to do the monitoring for its first 10 years, for their environmental permit, and it will be on its seventh year in 2014, Swafford said.
The projects proposed do not have to be completed in the year they are listed as long as they are completed within the five years of the plan, he said. Such a timetable means the airport can move a project up because of growth if it sees a need to do so, Swafford said.
The federal government will fund 90 percent of the projects that they choose to fund, leaving 10 percent to be split between local and state governments if the state will fund the project, he said. However, the state will normally only fund construction projects.
The airport is trying to forecast what kind of traffic they will have in the next five years as the facility grows, he said.
“We are trying to be intelligent with our planning,” Swafford said.
Paulding’s airport, completed in 2008, is still one of the newest airports in the United States, he said.
“We anticipate the airport is going to take off when the economy recovers,” Swafford said.