Students were transported to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite in Sandy Springs. Sandy Springs Fire officials determined the source of the students’ eye irritation was calcium carbonate, also known as chalk dust. It is not known how the dust caused the problems in the classroom, which was the only room where the students were affected.
In an emailed response to a question about the evacuation, Capt. Steve Rose, a police spokesman, said no students were seriously injured.
Emergency personnel cleared the area at about 2:30 p.m. Monday.