The ball, which will be Feb. 22 at the Holiday Inn Perimeter centennial ballroom, 4386 Chamblee Dunwoody Road in Dunwoody, will benefit the city’s theater group The Stage Door Players.
Tickets are $100 per guest and the evening’s events will be from 7 to 11 p.m. The themed ball is the second of its kind the theater group has hosted.
“We held our first [ball] last year in February and we noticed that of all the fundraisers going on around town no one was doing a Mardi Gras event,” said Artistic Director Robert Egizio. “So we thought this theme would be perfect because it’s theatrical and Thalia and Melponome are the Greek muses of comedy and tragedy.”
Last year’s event drew in a crowd of about 130 guests and Egizio said he expects to see about 200 attendees this year.
The evening will include a cocktail hour, seated dinner, a silent auction, live entertainment by performers and a band covering rock ‘n’ roll hits from the 60s and 70s.
Guests are encouraged to dress up in colorful masks and beads to celebrate the Mardi Gras theme.
Egizio said putting together and hosting the event is an effort that every member of the theater gets involved in.
“We enjoy decorating for and hosting events like the Mardi Gras ball because it allows our donors to have fun instead of just handing over a check,” he said.
Proceeds collected from the event will benefit general operation expenses for the theater, including staging, lighting and other materials.
The theater, celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, runs six main stage productions annually.
The players are acting in “On Golden Pond,” which is directed by Kelly Criss and will run until Feb 16.
Egizio said the theater earns about 60 percent of its needed budget through ticket sales and relies on donations for the remaining 40 percent.
“We had a great response to this event last year and through hosting fun outings such as the Mardi Gras ball, the Stage Door Players can keep operating and entertaining,” he said.