A grass fire Tuesday on the Glenridge Hall property on Abernathy Road near Glenridge Drive caused the Sandy Springs Fire Rescue Department to shut down Abernathy but the fire was contained without injuries or damage to nearby buildings.
“We had a pine tree that blew over in the wind and hit some power lines which caused a spark that caused the fire,” said Duke, who added the department got the 911 call reporting the fire just after 2 p.m.
City spokeswoman Sharon Kraun said the tree also knocked out a transformer, adding said all lanes of Abernathy between Glenridge Drive and Barfield Road were closed as a precaution. Duke said they should reopen by 3:30 p.m. He also said there were no injuries caused by the fire.
“The fire did get close to some of the work sheds or barns on the Glenridge [Hall] property but they didn’t get burned,” he said, adding two trucks and seven firefighters from Station 2 were on the scene.