No variable specified
Chamber accepting Leadership Douglas applications through March 15
by staff reports
March 06, 2013 02:01 PM | 1341 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Douglas County Chamber is now accepting applications for the 2013-2014 class of Leadership Douglas. The mission of Leadership Douglas is to identify, encourage and develop leadership abilities so that its participants grow both personally and professionally.

Participants in Leadership Douglas benefit from getting to know one another and from the exchange of ideas and experiences. They gain knowledge and understanding on crucial issues facing the community, while also attaining leadership skills to make a difference. In addition, they develop a network of relationships with other leaders of various backgrounds throughout Douglas County.

This professional leadership curriculum is achieved through a 10-month program of structured activity where students become familiar with all aspects of the community. Leadership Douglas utilizes professional leadership trainers while also utilizing community resources for courses such as Health and Wellness, Economic Development, Arts and Recreation, Public Safety, Social Services, Education, Government Affairs, and Water Resources.

“Where else can you gain an understanding of your community, leadership skills to make a difference, and life-long friends in one program,” said John Sell of Georgia Power Co., Leadership Douglas Class of 2011 and 2013 Douglas County Chamber Board of Directors chairman.

Participants in Leadership Douglas are selected after consideration of their recognized and potential leadership abilities. The selection committee will choose 25 diverse and qualified individuals in order to provide a structured program that enhances leadership skills and community involvement. In addition, the selection committee will ensure at least 70 percent of those selected will be from the business community, with the remaining 30 percent from education and social services.

Cost for the 10-month course is $600 and includes the retreat, all sessions and materials, meals and transportation.

It is important that applicants recognize that a serious commitment to attend every class is required. In return, participants are guaranteed to leave Leadership Douglas better qualified to take an active role in the community.

To download an application, please go to or contact the Chamber at (770) 942-5022. All applications are due no later than 5 p.m. on March 15.

*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, spam, and links to outside websites will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides